Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Surrealism

The blogging may be a bit more sporadic over the next month, as I'm off to Canada in just over 24 hours. There may be plenty of time to jot down thoughts online, but who knows what kind of internet access I'll have, so check back often, but don't get too angry with me if there's nothing new to read.

And so, this week all there is to really think about is Canada. After nearly a year of living in Korea, it's Canadian culture and Canadian people that will be turning my head in wonder and confusion. I'm by no means fully assimilated into the Korean world (I am soooo slow at learning the damn language), but I've lived through enough now that I know it's going to be a head-trip going back home.

Food is going to be the most obvious thing. No wait, that's not true. Language will be the most obvious, but food is what I've been thinking about most these last few weeks/months/since I got here. I fully expect to pack on a few pounds this August, unless I'm able to get into a moderate exercise routine everyday to battle the sudden caloric intake blast my body is about to receive. The plan right now is to eat out virtually every night (I've been saving money just for this purpose), since there's just so many different things I want to eat.

Actually, making good Canadian food at home will also be a treat, since not only will I have access to the different ingredients I've been missing, but even some utensils and proper counter space will also feel great. Anyway, enough on that, you now know I want food.

I think I'll be able to feel comfortable with the wide-openness and green space at home fairly easily. It wasn't too strange seeing vast expanses of empty land in Australia, but I can guarantee I'll get at least a few spine shivers the first time I get my bare feet onto some soft green grass. Heck, even brown nasty grass would beat the dirt fields here in Korea.

Some things are going to drive me crazy when I get home as well. The medical system here is designed infinitely better than at home. The care you receive may not be as good, but the waiting times, cost for things and friendliness of staff has been amazing. Shannon had some tests she wanted to get done, and she called home a few times to schedule them for August. She was told it wouldn't work, as it would take a minimum of 6 months to get everything done for her, so the next day she went to the Korean clinic and had it all done in 2 hours for only $40.

Generally the cost of living is going to be a bit of a downer for the next month - cabs cost about 1/10th of Canadian taxis, you can get good meals here for $2, and people are always giving you free things when you shop. On the other hand, nothings just ever as good as it is at home, and I'm ready to fork over a few extra dollars to have or experience something so much better.

I'm rather afraid of turning into one of "those" kinds of people, who can't shut up about "Country X". I'm sure everyone's had a friend or acquaintance who goes on a trip somewhere, comes back, and suddenly everything they say is "In "blah blah place", things are so much better" or "when I was in _____, it was just like this only half the price." Euugh, I can see myself doing it already. I'm going to make a personal goal to not talk about Korea unless asked. Of course this won't happen, but at least I might slow down on the Korea talk enough not to turn into "that Korea guy".

And with that, the first year of the Korea blog is complete! Annyonghi kaseyo (go well) and kamsamnida (thank you) for reading through it all. There's still one more year to go (at least), and I'm sure Korea has some interesting things still hidden up its sleeve to lay upon me. In the meantime, I'm off! "Reverse Culture Shock" here I come! Hope to see as many of you as I can, and if I don't, I hope you're doing well!

Rich

1 comment:

Goulash said...

Hey, I think I'm the "Country X" guy.
Oops.

I hope Canada is living up to its usual great standard.

See ya when you get back.