Monday, September 03, 2007

One Home to Another

You gain so much when you go traveling, whether it's knick-knacks, language skills, memories or perspectives on life. This time I managed also to gain 5 or 6 pounds, though it could be even more if I were able to measure myself.

Yes, the trip to Canada was a most enjoyable experience, and I indulged as much or more than I thought I would when it came to food. While I don't think I managed to eat all the goodies I was looking forward to, I certainly ingested most of them. After a year away though, some things weren't quite the way I remembered them. My taste in beers has changed a bit and I didn't really enjoy chips and other junkie snack foods as much as I thought. Maybe I just ate too much too soon.

For those unaware, I had a whole month in Canada, which wasn't nearly enough time and yet I'm still glad to be back in Korea. A week in Saskatchewan, a few weeks in Calgary, then finishing the time off with a trip throughout BC, it got to be quite tiring being on the road and doing so many things. Shannon and I drove over 6200 km with the car, which if you did it all at once would probably be over three days of straight driving. Four if you took bathroom breaks.

I'm at a bit of a loss now when it comes to deciding where my home is at the moment. For sure my home country is Canada, but it's tough being there without an actual home, house, or space to call my own. Shannon and I spent a good deal of time on couches, in tents, and in spaces that while maybe private, were not "our" space. Yesterday we spent nearly the whole day lying on the couch reading, and it felt great to relax in our own space (though it's quickly becoming our own "mess").

The vacation though was wonderful, and I loved every moment of it. Except the few minutes wake-boarding in Waskesiu, where my feet got stuck in the bindings and I was sure we'd have to get a hacksaw and cut me out. Thankfully Shannon's cousin is a tough dude, and the two of us were able to wrestle me out. Otherwise, catching up with friends and family was amazing, even if sometimes it was only for a few minutes in a parking lot. Sorry to everyone I tried to meet up with but didn't, but I'll be home in a year, and you're always invited to come to Korea and visit me here. Oh, and thanks everyone for the comments on the blog. I'm amazed how many people are reading this here, so I promise entertaining and humorous stories for the next year and beyond. Till next week!

No comments: