Friday, September 14, 2007

A Conversation With My Favourite Grade 1's

The same grade 1 kids who thought I must have met Triple H and Stone Cold Steve Austin on my vacation just stopped by. Today they wanted to know about my family. Well, getting them to understand what divorce is was pretty tough, but getting them to understand why my family would ever get divorced was nearly impossible. Things like that just don't happen in Korea.

They also couldn't get why I didn't go into the military. First, "Teacher, did you go in the army?" No. "Did you go in the navy?" No. "Did you go in the marine corps?" No no no no no no no. I never used or saw a gun, I told them. Again, lots of confusion, but it all got sorted out - I must have been a student back home (university students can do their military service here without actually shooting guns, doing drills, etc.). Well, the got the student part right, but I couldn't explain to them how I ended up here in Korea, so in the end I resolved it all with a "Out out out! Bye-bye! Naeil bayo (see you tomorrow0!"

No comments: