Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hard at Work Doin' Nothin'

It's week 3.7 of winter vacation here in Korea, and I've been nice and busy doing nothing these days. Actually, I really have been keeping myself wonderfully occupied with a whole schlack of activities these past few weeks, but it's still a pain having to stick around Mokpo/Korea when if you added up all my free time, it would be nearly a whole extra month doing something more interesting than this.

I've been working about 45 minutes a day at school this week, and the work I do is literally just "listen and repeat" with the kids so they can learn some new phrases in English. Shannon's not doing anything right now, so by 11:30 each day, we turn into Hugh Grant in that movie "About a Boy" where he retires at 30 and spends his days managing small blocks of time with trivial activities. Well, I have managed to go to the gym nearly every day lately, which is pretty good, but otherwise it's lots of reading, studying Korean and platting schemes to trick my students to do what I tell them to for next semester. Any scheme plotting is always a good time.

Miso

Since there's not too much going on then, why don't I introduce you all more formally to the littlest member of our Korean household, Miso. Any regular reader of my blog here will know of our poor little mongrel, but for those unaware, here's a quick history of our new four-legged friend.

We got the little guy after a friend found him wandering the streets. After a few days trying to find his owners, she began asking around if anyone would take care of him. Since we felt it was that or have him put down, Shannon and I took him in. 10 months later, he's still a little rough on deciding where he should and shouldn't be peeing, but he's so cute how can you get mad at him.

It's winter now, so he hasn't stopped shivering in a few months. I think the fact that he's small, has little hair, and was meant really to be in Mexico (he is half Chihuahua) makes him not so adept at dealing with chilly temperatures. Canada may be the end of him, I think. Still, if anyone is ever interested in babysitting, he's very loving, likes to cuddle, and sleeps comfortably with you under the covers.




Oh, and we're babysitting a friends cat right now. The cat is nuts, and spends most of the day trying to break in (and subsequently, out of) the fridge. Here's a funny picture we took of him that shows off all his insanity. Well, that's all until next week, or whenever-ish. I'm a little slow on the blogs now that I have all this free time. Strange how things work that way. After next week though, it's off to Thailand! I probably won't be blogging during that stint, but feel free to email me if you need to hear an adventure or two!

No comments: