Friday, May 23, 2008

Don't Help Me, Listen To Me.

A situation has developed in the last few minutes that's got me quite angry. Actually, it's developed over the last few days, but it was only a few minutes ago that I became aware of it. The ultimate tournament is this weekend, and ordering food has been the crux of the planning, causing a mild headache as I try to sort out how many people, what kind of food, and how cheap I can get it.

I talked to my school on Wednesday, and they found a place that would do it for $4.50. Not bad, I said, let me talk to you by the end of the day Thursday to let you know numbers and if it will work for us. This was on Wednesday.

I then talked to one of Shannon's co-teachers, who was able to get it for $3.50 a meal. Great, I said, let's order it. This was Thursday.

Today is Friday. I come in first thing in the morning and tell me school not to worry about ordering the food. Which of course they already have ordered, back on Wednesday when I was trying to figure out the price. I spend the next 30-40 minutes trying to get them to cancel, but it seems the place they've ordered from is doing this especially for me - they don't even make the food I wanted to order, but my school got them to do so and at a $1.50 a meal discounted price. Needless to say, when they hear that I want to cancel, they are right upset.

So we call Shannon's co-teacher to try and cancel that. Same problem. Now I've got two sets of meals ordered, one of which I never wanted to begin with but only wanted to know the price, and everyone (other than me) seems to be in agreement that I have to pay for both of them.

I know there's a way around this situation, but I can't speak Korean so I can't explain or have explained to me the way things are. I don't even know how my school managed to order these meals, since they didn't know how many I wanted or what time I wanted them, and they seem to be putting meat in them as well which I also didn't want. What a disgusting waste or resources this is turning into.

Anyway, I'm still not going to lose any money due to this disaster, but I'm not going to be able to buy any of the extras I wanted for the weekend (beer, prizes, bananas and bread). Obviously my school wasn't trying to screw me over, but this minor misunderstanding is really putting me on edge right now. I know I should have gone to tell them Thursday that I didn't want the food, but why the %$*@ did they order it without knowing the exact details of it? They didn't even wait until Thursday, they ordered right there in front of me on Wednesday when I thought they were just finding out the cost!

Oh, and right in the middle of this ordeal, the fat administrator guy who is always making jokes about my not speaking good Korean walked in and gave me a goofy-smiled lecture about closing my windows in my classroom. It's proabably the closest I've come to punching anyone. I'm calm now, but I think this is going to be a long day.

No comments: