Friday, May 02, 2008

Kids vs Adults

I'm not sure who takes the cake for strangest behaviour, kids or adults. I've had a few more unusual run-ins with adults the past week, but one of my kids threw me for such a loop I'm not sure what to make of it.

While walking yesterday, I noticed a lady walking her granddaughter (I assume), and nearly get hit by several vehicles. She was crossing the street 30 meters away from the crosswalk, and looking the wrong way so as to not see any of the oncoming traffic. A bus came by blaring its horn, and while I jumped in the air having been so frightened from it, she didn't even look in its direction, but did at least take half a step back. Once the bus was gone, she again began crossing the road looking away from the coming traffic.

I also have started once again to run into a former Korean acquaintence, a possibly mentally handicapped man who throws out every English sentence he knows all at once -
"Hello nice to meet you my name is Ki Baum how are you I am fine where are you from nice to meet you what is your name I am from Korea how are you nice to meet you..." and on until I move out of earshot.

My student though, there's nothing really wrong with him, he's just a little eccentric. When I first got here he would hold my hand sometimes (many students do that), then he started humming "here' comes the bride" when we walked. Lately he's started hugging me and telling me how much he loves me. And finally, last week he wrapped himself around me while I was at my computer (he's quite a hefty fellow) and tried to kiss my face. I don't know where he was trying to kiss, cause I got my hands up awfully fast, but it was certainly not an appropriate or welcome gesture. He's a nice kid, seems to get along with everyone else, but he's the kind of kid you see wearing bow ties, sweater vests and sporting a crew-cut. Something's just not adding up.

I'm a little behind on this weeks blog, and I realized it's cause I wanted to talk about my last weekend in Jeju, but I don't have any pictures yet. Most of the photos were taken by our amateur photographer guy Dave, and I haven't snagged a copy of them, and I really want to put up some good shots of me and the team playing. My only good team photo had someone (I'm sure it couldn't have been me...) acting mildly inappropriate, so I think I'll wait till I get a more accurate photo-description of the weekend. I will however say that I had a great time, played really well at least one of the two days we played, and I'm going to be sad to miss next years tournament.

Finally, I'm hosting an ultimate tournament here in Mokpo. You can see our details at www.mokpoultimate.com, and yes I know there's heaps of type-o's, I'm sure I'll get to fixing them later (well, I'll have my helper fix them, I don't actually make the website). While I'm sure a trip to Korea is probably out of the question for most people, everyone I know is more than invited, and if you make the trip from overseas, I promise to waive the $20 registration fee. So long for now!

1 comment:

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

I know Mr. Ki Baum myself... (No surprise since you and I frequented that same neighbourhood... I wonder if the English Village people have similar meetings with him?) he freaked me out so bad because he always seemed to accost me at the bank on the corner, right after I have taken out a good sum of money.

Full on with the perfectly memorized Grade five-six English, and right up in your face. Jesus Christ. I would be so unnerved by him that I'd have to actually yell at him in Korean to leave me alone, thinking that he'd remember next time he saw me. NO DICE. Every *single* time I saw him it was the same spiel. I took to carrying an umbrella and wearing a baseball cap so I could shield myself from him whenever I saw him coming.