Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Weekend Warrior


I finally got my things together - and by things I mean photos - and now I've got a couple of fun weekends worth of adventure to blog about here.

Nearly two weeks ago, 16 of us from Mokpo took the 5 hour boat ride to Jeju Island, the "Hawaii of Korea", a nearly tropical Korean paradise with various degrees of actual "paradise" qualities to it. Actually, if you've read my old blog on the trip Shan and I took to Jeju, you'll see it is really quite nice.


This year's tournament wasn't quite as fantastic as the one last year - not as much free food or drinks, separate fields for different levels of teams, and far too many teams seemed to suffer from self-imposed curfews, making the party on Saturday and Sunday wind down by 1am. It was still loads of fun, though Saturday had us riddled with challenges on the fields.
The wind was bordering on hurricane strength, our team was placed in a much stronger competition level than we belonged in, and it wasn't until the final game of the day that we managed to score more than 2 points against another team. Still, good times regardless.

Sunday was much better, and the calmer weather meant for some enjoyable games
regardless of whether we won or lost. We won the first two games fortunately, but lost our final game, giving us 2nd place in the "C" division.

Last weekend had myself, Shannon and a few other Mokpo-ites traveling east of Seoul to a tiny town called Ganhyeon, where heaps of the local and foreigner climbing
community had descended upon for a weekend of climbing adventure. I also got to meet up with my old University buddy Les who's been living in Korea as long as I have but we hadn't met up yet.


The climbing was great, I learned plenty of new knowledge on climbing, pushing myself a little harder and further than I'd thought possible, and I managed to replace a little more of the nice tender skin on my hands with a callous layer or, well, callouses.

No comments: